What To Put In Your Portfolio

A sign of a good photographer is not what they have in their portfolio. A sign of a good photographer is what they leave out of their portfolio.

I've seen new photographers brand themselves as professionals, but when you look at their portfolio, they pretty much dump every photo they take into it.

While it is easier now to show your portfolio with online galleries like Flickr. That doesn't mean you should put every shot you took on it.

If you are working towards making people be in awe with your shots, you should remove those photos that you don't think is good enough for your standards. If you take 100 photos and you end up with five good ones, then you end up with five good ones.

Your viewers doesn't have to know that you had to take hundreds of photos just to get those five good ones. But those five good ones they'll see will make them think you're a genius! Just like a magician, you never tell them how you did your trick.

This was a lesson I learned a couple of months ago before I got really serious with my photography. I used to shoot tons of photos and just dump them all to Flickr. When people see them, the good ones gets lost within the bad ones so people ended up not appreciating my photos.

I didn't realize this until this was pointed out to me by a friend of mine and I saw it in another person's portfolio. So now, I only upload those shots that I feel is really good.

My criteria for a good photo is simple, if I feel something about the photo, that's a good photo for me. For some, the photo has to be technically good, like really sharp, good lighting, proper exposure and so on. I don't even look at those that much. I just go by gut feel. If a particular photograph gives me a certain feeling, like warm, cold, old, young, vibrant or fun, then that goes into my gallery.

It's very tedious work trying to edit and select photos. But the end result is well worth it.

Comments