Learn to Compensate With Your Camera

One of the things I learned as I use my camera more and more is the limitations it has. The features are easy enough to use, but learning to compensate for the limitations is the hard part.

For example, I've been going to several events and there are times there's a lot of action going on. Since I don't have a viewfinder I can look through, I can't see exactly what I'm shooting since the LCD blanks out everytime I press the shutter.

Also, some action shots require continuous shooting and since I have a slow shutter. I miss a lot of shots. This has been frustrating to say the least. Another thing is that the lack of longer zoom. My Canon SD880IS only goes to 4x zoom. Some events are just too far for my lens. Because of this, I've miss more shots than I care to remember.

I was trying to figure out what I can do to make those kinds of shots work with my camera. Move closer, set shutter to continuous mode, set the servo AF so the focus will continue to adjust as it follows the subject, etc. Then I realized that I had video function on my camera. Instead of trying to make my camera work like a DSLR, why don't I make it work like a video camera instead. That way, I get all the actions instead of just shots of the action.

Here's some videos I took over the past few weeks.







And finally...

Comments