Canon Powershot S90

Canon announced the new Canon Powershot S90 which will be available September 2009.

From the looks of it, the Canon Powershot S90 is going to be an incredible camera. It features 28mm wide lens, F/2.0-F/4.9, 3.8x optical zoom, a 3 inch LCD, pop-up flash, the same 10.0 megapixel CCD sensor as the Canon Powershot G11, image stabilizer, ISO3200 and RAW capture.

Why do I say it's going to be an incredible camera? How many compact cameras do you know sports a F/2.0 aperture? Other than the Panasonic Lumix LX3 or the Leica D-Lux 4? F/2.0 lets in twice as much light as F/2.8 which makes this a fast lens. This makes it easier to shoot in low light conditions.

One thing I like about this compared to the Canon Powershot G11 is that it is smaller, but you get the same controls as the Powershot G11. You get C, M, AV, TV, P, Auto, SCN and video modes.

Another thing I like about the Canon Powershot S90 is that you get two click wheel controls instead of buttons like other compact cameras of this size. That means you can get to the right settings faster.

One thing that the Canon Powershot S90 doesn't have compared to the Panasonic Lumix LX3 and the Leica D-Lux 4 is the 24mm wide angle lens.

I was considering buying the Panasonic Lumix LX3 but I didn't like the price and I was hesistant with the menu arrangement of the Lumix. I tried my friend's Panasonic FZ-28 and I had a hard time figuring out the controls.

Of course, given time, I would probably have gotten used to it, but I chose to go with something familiar so I bought the Canon SD880. I love this camera and all my photos are taken with it. I put it in my pocket and I can shoot with one hand or take movies with one hand like my other hand hangs on a railing.

The new 10.0 megapixel CCDsensor of the Powershot S90 makes it more sensitive and less noise at higher ISO. There is a new Low Light mode which, depending on the ambient light, adjust the ISO from 320 to 12800. Based on the samples on Canon's website, they won't look too grainy. We'll only know once it's been in the market and fully tested.

There is a new customizable ring control around the lens that lets you control the ISO, White Balance, Zoom, Focus and Exposure. Combined with the click wheel controls, this makes the camera very fast to use.

You may be disappointed to know that the Canon Powershot S90 doesn't have HD movie. It has HDMI output, but it doesn't take HD movies. But seriously, if you're a photographer, you wouldn't be shooting movies anyway. And if you're a videographer, you won't be using a compact digital to shoot HD movies.

This camera looks so amazing, I might actually get it. We'll see how it goes once it hits the market.

Comments

Post a Comment