Photoshop

I never had any reaction or comments about my photos until I posted this one.


This was taken after it's been raining the whole day and it stopped late afternoon. Funny thing is, I only got a reaction after I used Photoshop to edit this picture. I never usually use Photoshop other than to adjust levels and a bit of cropping or lightening.

On this picture, I actually used color balance and saturation to bring out what I wanted in the photo.

This is the original out of the camera.


I had trouble with the white balance because of the clouds and I was facing the sun. So the original photo didn't come out the way I wanted. Normally, I would just leave it as is since I'm lazy to use Photoshop. But for some reason, I tried using Photoshop on this image and it came out better.

I adjusted color balance to make it warmer and the red of the canopy to come out. I adjusted saturation and some contrast to bring out the differences in the colors since most of them look the same in the original picture.

Lastly, I put a bit of vignetting around the photo to emphasize the walkway since I wanted the viewers eyes to get drawn to the long walkway.

Finally, I put some captions on the photo to explain where I was and why I took the picture. That got a bit of reaction from people who viewed it and was the first photo that actually got them commenting.

I guess I should use Photoshop a lot more, not to manipulate the photo, but to bring out what I see. I tend to just leave my photos alone since don't really like photos that's been overly Photoshopped. I kind of like a more journalistic style photo and sharing what I see. I guess what I see doesn't necessarily translate to the camera since the camera is not as sophisticated as our eyes.

Another thing that help was actually putting a bit of caption explaining the photo since some people don't understand why I took that photo.

Another lesson learned in photography.

Comments