Just shoot

The best way to learn about photography is to just shoot. Shoot anytime, anywhere and any subject.



I was washing some dishes when I saw this beautiful light hitting the roof outside the kitchen window. So I immediately grabbed my camera and took a picture.

I have two friends who have very opposite views on learning about photography. One says he wants to learn how to use his camera, but every time I tell him to go shoot, he always says there's nothing good to shoot. He always complains that there's no good views in the Philippines where he lives.

Another friend just shoots. He'll shoot a flower, his car, food, pretty much anything. If he can't find any subject to shoot, he'll shoot his shoes and flip flops. Pretty much anything he can think of. They live in the same country, same city, less than ten blocks from each other. Guess who's the better photographer?

I bring my camera everywhere. I use a point and shoot camera because it is easier to carry around than and SLR. I would love to have the control of an SLR, but I hate carrying it all the time. I don't have an SLR yet, but I'm not missing anything by just having a point and shoot camera.

My camera is a Canon SD880IS, it's a camera with hardly any control for the user. I can't control my aperture or shutter speed. All I can control is the zoom, white balance and exposure compensation. But that doesn't stop me from learning and trying to take better photos. I noticed that the less I have to think about the camera controls, the more time I take to think about the composition, color, subject and feel. In short, I spend more time on the "art" part than the technical part.

I bought my camera in March 2009 and I've already taken over 2000 shots. I took a whole series of wedding photos the second day I had the camera. It's the only way to learn.

My philosophy for learning photography is any subject, any light at any time. I'm not going to limit myself to the "golden hour" or just people or landscape. I want to know where I'll excel so I'll do everything.


Macro shot


Landscape

Would a DSLR take a better picture? Sure, no doubt it will be clearer, sharper, less noise and more dynamic colors. But unless you're printing pictures to sell, most people wouldn't notice the difference.

Take this photo for example



Would you believe I won in a contest with this photo? I won a new Canon SD780IS P&S camera with this photo. Guess what I used to take this photo?

Just shoot, it's the only way to learn.

Comments