Keep shooting

One of the best way to learn photography is to keep shooting. There's no point in reading this blog, books or your manual unless you actually go and use your camera.

I got my new Canon SD880 about 2 week ago and the first thing I did was go out and shoot a wedding I went to. The SD880 doesn't have as much manual control as my old S50. It doesn't have manual control, no aperture priority, no shutter control. All I can do is zoom in and out, adjust exposure and white balance.

Even though the SD880 struggled in low light when I was indoors at the reception. I finally learned how to use Slow Sync Flash since I was forced to use it to make my pictures look better indoors.

I took out all my shyness and just went as close as I can to the couple and took a ton of pictures. After analyzing my shots when I got home, I realized what to do and what not to do so in the future, my shots will be better.

A week later, I went to the Fisherman's Wharf at Steveston. Learning how to use white balance in full sunlight, I was able to get my shots to come out warmer than the usual blue I used to get.

After the Wharf, we went to the dike on River Road and I used Photostitch for the first time. After combining the photos, I realized that the exposures where all different so the stitching didn't come out right. Now that I've seen it, I realized I should have use Exposure Lock or AEL on your Canon camera. I've never used it before, but now I know one situation where I can use it.

So that's the best way to learn how to use your camera. Go out and shoot, then analyze your photos to see how you can make it better.

Happy shooting!

Comments