Learning from people's mistakes

I went to a baptism last week and there were a couple of people with digital cameras with them. They were taking pictures of the baptism and I was amused at how people use their cameras.

Here's a couple of things I observed.

1. Taking photos a couple of feet away and using the camera's zoom.
It's far better to move closer to the action than staying put at one place. It doesn't give you enough dynamic on your shots and they will tend to look bland.

2. Using flash all the time.
I've looked at the resulting pictures from the LCD after they took the shots. They all looked over exposed and washed out. This was in a church so the lighting was low but the mood would be good. The flash just destroys the mood of the lights.

3. During a group shot, the photographer kept asking us to compress. He said this several times. Meanwhile, I was thinking, maybe he should have just stepped back instead of telling 30 plus people to move. It's far easier for one person to move than to get 30 people who don't know each other that much to get closer to each other.

Of course, I'm being critical, these are not professional photographers, just people who want to record a special event in the family. In the end, taking a photo is about enjoying and capturing the moment and not worrying whether you got the right exposure or composition.

Some of the most memorable photos I took are not technically correct, but rather moments I captured of my family that I will enjoy for life.

Keep shooting!

Comments