An Opportunity to Learn

I been shooting a lot of landscapes, macros and a few photos of children and babies. But I haven't done any formal portraiture of adults. I've always been in awe of photographers who can shoot great portraits of couples and families. This is probably because I imagine having something similar done for myself.

So I wanted to learn to do some portraiture and I was able to convince some of my friends to pose for me. I've never actually done any portraiture before and mostly have been doing candid shots only. So this would be the first time I would make actual poses.

The problem I have is, I didn't really know where to start. The first time I was going to try to do the portrait was last week when we were supposed to go to the beach. But instead, we ended up going to a busy park. Since pretty much every inch of the park was full of people, there wasn't any clear background to shoot and my friends got shy. So I ended up with these photos.

Wanna guess what they are?

Yep! Kids, landscape and macros.


Nice thing about kids? They don't get shy. They're oblivious to their surroundings and they love to pose.

The only problem with taking photos of kids? You have to be really fast. And I mean fast. I almost wasn't able to get the first photo. Luckily, she did this the second time so I had time to take my camera out and be ready for it. The first time she made this pose, I had my camera in my camera case.

But that is something I learned about photographing kids, be ready for anything.

So even when this day didn't come out as I wanted, I still took the opportunity to learn take some photos and came up with a wonderful portrait of my friend's daughter.

Comments