Borrowing cameras

Since I broke my camera, I've been borrowing my friend's camera. I'm usually the official photographer since I don't get shy trying to take people's pictures. I am shy about getting my picture taken though. hehehe...

Anyway, I've tested a Canon G9 from a friend and I'm currently borrowing my sister's Canon SD630 IS. Both work well and the performance is what you would expect from any P&S camera.
I've tested the G9 at a party and the low light shots at 400 are pretty good. Very little noise and the IS helps reduce blur due to camera shake.

The party at was at had very difficult lighting and the walls are painted brown. So depending on where I was pointing my camera, the white balance goes from neutral to yellow to orange. There's only so much colour correction a software can do so I pretty much left most as they are.
Forget the built in flash as they always suck in P&S cameras making the subject look washed out and making their faces shiny. I just bump up ISO to 400 and just keep a steady hand.

The Canon SD630 was tested around the park where I live, the colours are decent as well. I shot at dusk so I got to test its low light capabilities. It's not bad, but it is harder to hold steady because it is so light. I usually have to put my elbows at my ribs or lean on a post to keep it steady.

I also used the SD630 at the new Richmond Olympic Oval and the shots were really nice. So as long as you know how to use your camera. It doesn't really matter what type you use.

The G9 is easier to hold steady because it is made of bigger and made of metal. But the SD630 you can just put in your pocket. The G9 has more manual controls like Aperture Priority, Shutter and Program mode and it almost feels like using an SLR. The SD630 also has some manual controls but no aperture priority or shutter speed controls.

I had fun using both of them and Canon has always made good P&S cameras.

I have a couple of shots in my gallery. Here are some of them.

These photos were taken with the Canon Powershot SD630.













Comments