Bad photo

Take a look at this photo. Can you see what's wrong with it?



Well, aside from it being crooked. What else is wrong with it? Yes, I know the composition isn't the best. Can you guess what else is wrong? Don't see it? Click on the image so you can zoom into it.

See it now? Do you see how the white uniforms seems to have a blue halo? That folks, is called chromatic aberration or CA in photography jargon. According to Wikipedia, "chromatic aberration is the failure of a lens to focus all colors to the same point. It occurs because lenses have a different refractive index for different wavelengths of light (the dispersion of the lens). The refractive index decreases with increasing wavelength."

In short, if you have bad or cheap lens, your photos will look ugly or weird. I used my compact camera here which is the Canon SD880IS. It's cheap, easy to use, but as with any compact camera, it can only do so much.

This doesn't usually happen to my photos, but the reason CA happened is because the grass and green trees provided really even colors, but the high sun and the white uniform was beyond what the lens and perhaps the small camera sensor can handle. Small sensors have smaller dynamic range, so it cannot handle a wide band of colors range and CA or exposure error occurs.

This is not such a big deal if you are not displaying a large picture. As you can see here, you probably would not have seen it if you didn't zoom in to the picture.

Unless you're printing a photo for a magazine, don't sweat it too much. It happens, you learn from your mistakes and you compensate for it next time.

How would I compensate for this photo? There's really nothing much I can do here, I can zoom in closer so I take in more of the person so the dynamic range wouldn't be so big or I can just cut off the people all together. But I would never have made these decisions unless I went out to shoot and test my camera. That is the best way to learn.

Comments